Dear Elder Slavens

Dear Elder Slavens
Elder Trenton J Slavens
Thailand, Bangkok/Arizona, Gilbert/
Texas Houston East
Elder Dallin J Slavens Cambodia, Phnom Penh
Elder Chancellor J Slavens Idaho, Twin Falls

Monday, August 24, 2015

Hall & Oates

The most amazing week of my life. A week that has changed a lot of my perspective on our purpose here on Earth. THE WEEK OF A LIFETIME! 

I will start from the top. 

First, at the begging of this week the Elders and Sisters serving in branch 1 in Kampong Cham (me and my companion Elder Beacco, and Sister Sheffield and Sister Harris) came up with an idea to help as many people as possible. As missionaries, we usually meet the same people every week, people who need frequent encouragement. Well, we decided to take a brake from that this week and start "OPERATION: SLASH AND BURN" Missionaries have record books of all the people who have ever been baptized, but after 10-15 years you find that the information can become old, the paper can be eaten by the rats in your house, and so on... Well we are tired of old records of members who haven't come to church in years, or who have been lost, and their information hasn't been updated. So We decided, for this week, to go and visit all the people with old records that don't make sense, are destroyed, and who haven't been visited in a while and take pictures and make new notes to make the new records SPIT clean for the next missionaries after us! TAKE THAT, RATS! No more eating OUR records! I'll cover them in poison. 

My other favorite part of this week was getting to know my area better. We have our area in the province of Kampong Cham that we stay in, but there is a little town called Chuub which is SUUUPER pretty like an hour away from Kampong Cham with some members that we go visit every once and a while. Only the most faithful of souls lives there, to be able to commit to come in to Kampong Cham once a week for church. Examples to us all, just like the kid in the movie in the Pee-Wee Herman movie. 

Now for the highlight of my week/my life: On Saturday the missionaries in the whole country of Cambodia shuttled on up to stay in the city of Phnom Penh for a night, then on Sunday we got the once in a life time chance to listen to Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. Basically, I would LOVE to just put everything he said! But basically he met with us and all the members in Cambodia and talked about how serious the Book of Mormon is and why he became a member of the church. Then he met with JUST the missionaries, and if you watch General Conference and think his yelling and pounding is impressive on the screen, just IMAGINE watching it 5 feet from your face! He basically just talked about change. The change that needs to take place on a mission. At the beginning of my mission, I wasn't so sure how much I agreed! I wanted to change and become more spiritual, but did I want to change anything else? No. But now I realize, if we all are expecting to actually meet God one day after this life, who do we want to be? How do we want to talk to Him? I am starting to see that this whole LIFE is about change. Now, the key is to find out how. It is through doing what God commands us to do to become better. Elder Holland said "Discipline leads you to be a disciple" Cool 

I hope you all had a SWEET week. If any of you have any questions, give me a holler. Wish me luck this week as I venture out to find the unknown.

Love you long time,
Elder Slavens 

 
​SO. MANY. SAUSAGES. 


​The crafting of OPERATION: SLASH AND BURN 


​SUPER lined up trees. Choosing a path is never easy. But we all gotta choose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment