Dear Elder Slavens

Dear Elder Slavens
Elder Trenton J Slavens
Thailand, Bangkok/Arizona, Gilbert/
Texas Houston East
Elder Dallin J Slavens Cambodia, Phnom Penh
Elder Chancellor J Slavens Idaho, Twin Falls

Sunday, January 3, 2016

I see the light... and if I want to get the orb... I have to drink the magic water

My favorite quote of the week from our investigator who looks like Eric Martocci:

"Elder," he says in English, "you and I are very different."

"Why is that?" 

"Because my face is very not cute. Your face is very cute."

This week rocked socks. I got to switch companions for a day so that a more experienced missionary could show me how it is done. His name is The Olsen. He is a super star. Definitely wish he went to my high school. Many pictures were taken. All we did was talk to people on the streets and go to one of our investigators birthday party that he invited us too where we taught a lesson. His family is full of members of our church, so there were tons of members there. But it got weird when they brought out the cake. They brought it out, lit the candles, we sang happy birthday, and then everyone was like "PRAY! PRAY! PRAY OVER THE CAKE!" and I was like good for these people for being that converted. And so I folded my arms and bowed my head, expecting for him to pray out loud, but then we just sat in silence and then I heard him blow out the candles. And that was when I learned that the word for "pray" is the same word they use when they blow out candles on a cake and make a wish. 

We got like 7 new investigators this week which was cool. They all really want to learn. I'll teach them. 

This week was fast Sunday, but I cover 2 areas, which means two sacrament meetings, which means double the bread and double the water #blessed 

SRSLY THO blessings. We had so many people show up to church. You normal people will never know the joy a missionary feels when people come to church. But catch this story, yo:

While I was sitting there, reviling in the joy of a successful Sunday during testimony meeting at church, I heard a noise. A familiar noise. It was my little brothers voice, Jack Jack. But it was not just his normal voice (which sounds like a goblin), it was his laugh. But only the laugh he gives off when you pick him up and squish him and squeeze him as hard as you can. So I instantly missed squeezing Jack Jack and crushing him into gravy. And then, I started tasting gas station food. Was it really in my mouth? No. But I could taste it. I wanted it. I could smell my car. THE WORLD AROUND ME WAS REMINDING ME OF SAN RAMON! So I had to stand up, walk straight to the pulpit, and address all the member. 

I asked "Did any of you see a short little American elf running around? Because I swear I heard my little brothers voice" and they all shout from the audience "No! No! We didn't see him!" and I continued to tell them about what it is like as a missionary to miss home. Some miss it more than others. Some have a harder time. But we all miss home eventually. But then I told them why we all continue to press forward in our work. 

It is because we know that what we are doing is important and true. And as we forget ourselves more and think of others, and try to love them and serve them and bring them what is PROMISED to bring them level 100 happiness, then we are happier in turn, and do not miss home. I have come to find that is true. I like this chance I have for one more year to only think of others and not just sit there and think of others and how awesome they are, but serve them too. HOW TRUE IS ZAT, BREZZEREN? 

Love you.

PS I thought of something this week. I have a requirement for all of you Elder Slavens fans out there. All 2 of you (my mom and my mom). In one year, I will walk of a plane back on the motherland, on American soil. My first steps on American soil will be in an airport. And so my requirement for all those who will be there to pick me up and see me come home: A choreographed flash mob. I tell you this now because I know I will forget I requested, so it will be a surprise. So none of you forget! Bye bye. 



​Pool party, baby. It was a cool party. 


THE OLSEN


What is this thing? 


His bike broke so I had to carry him around 


I had dog again. But I'm not sure if I ate dog meat, or like a predator or something. It looked out of this world!?
Tasted that way too... eeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh 


My companion Elder Grimaud wanted to try out my helmet 


​All the compliments we taught in English class. 





No comments:

Post a Comment