Dear Elder Slavens

Dear Elder Slavens
Elder Trenton J Slavens
Thailand, Bangkok/Arizona, Gilbert/
Texas Houston East
Elder Dallin J Slavens Cambodia, Phnom Penh
Elder Chancellor J Slavens Idaho, Twin Falls

Monday, May 30, 2016

I am your grandma

Hey folks. 

Elder Ros and I became viral this week. 

For some reason, it is super easy for you to become famous in Cambodia. Missionaries become famous for random stuff all the time here. Someone will just take a picture of a missionary doing something and post it on Facebook and then it blows up. 

Well this week Elder Ros and I were the victims. 

We were holding a big sign that says, "Free English class!" outside of a university, and a guy rode by and asked, "What are y'all doing?"

"Telling people about our free English class. Do you want to come?" 

"Naw, I don't have time. But I can help tell people about your class! Can I take a picture of you?" 

"Sure"

So he took a picture of us and put it on Facebook. Turns out he owns a Facebook page called "HD Funny Clips" which is super popular here. 260,000 followers. 

He posted the picture and said, "if you want to learn English for free, call these guys" and put our phone number. The second he posted it, our phone started ringing. Since then (4 days ago) our phone has not stopped ringing. We can hardly leave our house because we are just talking on the phone, telling people information about our English class. As of now, the picture has 13,000 likes and has been shared over 4,000 times. 

People on the streets have asked me if I am the English class guy. They will show me the picture from Facebook. 

It is so awesome. 

On a different note, I have another story I want to share. It is one of the weirdest things serving a mission has done to me. Elder Ros and I were biking, and we had to stop because of a train crossing. As we waited at the stop, I just sat there as more and more people pulled up to a stop with me on their motos. Next thing I knew, I was surrounded by a horde of people. And then the thought popped into my mind:

"Stand up on your bike and tell everyone about the church" 

And I thought, "NO! That's crazy!"

And then the thought hit me again: 

"DO IT"

And then I didn't do it. And then the train passed by, and all the motos around me drove off, and I was left to be disappointed in myself. Why didn't I do it? Because I was nervous. What was I nervous of? I don't know. Something stupid, I guess. 

That's when I thought how weird serving a mission is. I am a 19 year old dude who doesn't get paid, and I tell everyone about Jesus Christ. What kind of thing makes a 19 year old kid want to stand up on his bike and scream to a horde of people about Jesus Christ besides a dare or a mission?

So I am going to make the rest of my mission being a full on missionary. Which means I am here already, I am already sacrificing my time and money, so why not put in all I got and just GO FOR IT. It is gonna be great. 

I know that what I teach is true.



The world famous picture with a link to the Facebook post. I find it a miracle that I didn't make a stupider face. 



He haulin' a cart. 


Me eating some foods


We helped build a house


I found a 3 inch long hair on my neck lol 

Elder Ros' email

ជាតំន់សូជំរាសួ!,

        Hey everyone sorry, this is going to be a very brief and summed up post so I'll do my best to explain how'd last week went! Here I go!

      So pretty much throughout the entire week we're still being very consistent on doing our best to help the members around the Ward in Teuk Laak such as searching for CBRs, still finding those who truly wants to learn and even those that want to learn the English language. 

       The biggest highlight of last week is since last Friday me and Elder Slavens went viral because apparently while we were contacting in the afternoon on front of a member's home about the Rean English Program, we met a guy who's in charge of one of the most famous facebook page in Cambodia know as "HD Funny Clip". Since that happened me and Elder Slavens have a huge call frenzy in our phone since the 27th of May. As that happened there's always somebody calling from different areas of Cambodia wanting to learn English so there's been a ton of re-routing people that call us to other missionaries in other area to teach English! 

      On Saturday, we spent hours on continuing to re-route people that called us on our phone for the REAN English Program after the REAN English Program in the morning along with lunch! Whoo! So many people, yet me and Elder Slavens has been pulling off contacts then inviting people to learn about the Church as well! 

       Church was great we had a couple of investigators coming to church, one of them such as Bong Seiha (who's committed to a baptismal date on August the 6th) showed up to church for all 3 hours! Which was awesome! I love investigators that chose to progress in their lives! 

        Just wanted to let everyone know that Elder Slavens and I are doing fantastic and excellent! We're working a lot harder than we usually had before, and I am living the dream of the missionary I always wanted and needed to be and best of all what God needs me to be! I testify that if we remained converted into this church each and every day of our lives we can be truly happy in this life and even after life! I love my mission! It meant everything to me! I am here to keep it up and I WILL NOT QUIT! I am called to served my divine heritage in Cambodia and I take this sacred privelige seriously! I know that with God all things are still possible! Sometimes the things we face that is complicated in life takes a load of patience, I always have to work on that constantly enable for me to endure any obstacles in life.

      This includes the negative parts anyone go through in their missions! So if we remain true to God and Christ's true Church each and everyday any miracles can happen. (I look forward to REAN English Program on this Wednesday and Thursday which I believe is going to explode throughout the week! 

     Rean English Program was still good me and Elder Slavens sometimes form out our own lessons just so the students that came can benefit from it. Some of you may wonder how the language's going when it comes to serving this mission... out of humility I am still learning each and everyday. People may be judge me all they want, but I am still here to put my heart into this mission not matter what people say. I WILL NOT DENY MY CALLING, I AM CALLED TO SERVE, NOT CALLED TO BE JUDGED!

        Well I'll need to dash fast looking forward to how this upcoming week will go! Stay fantastic and blessed will post a bigger post next week! Love you all!
  
សូជំរាបលា!
🌏💓 -អែលឌើរ រស់  known as Elder Ros the Elder that stills lives on! 😇💊🛡🛃

"And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed." - Alma 34:33

No comments:

Post a Comment