Dear Elder Slavens

Dear Elder Slavens
Elder Trenton J Slavens
Thailand, Bangkok/Arizona, Gilbert/
Texas Houston East
Elder Dallin J Slavens Cambodia, Phnom Penh
Elder Chancellor J Slavens Idaho, Twin Falls

Saturday, February 8, 2020

This week on Keeping Up With the Elder Speaking Thai and Struggling Everyday


Good evening Earth. It's me. Elder Slavens. I speak fluent Thai and I don't remember English at all. English who. Kidding. Got you. Pranked. 

In reality I am working hard and am starting to finally get it. We got to teach our teachers but we haven't taught a real "investigator" yet. It's usually just members who say they aren't members and try to trick us. It won’t work on me. We are teaching someone next week so be ready for a good story. I can read Thai now very very slowly and am learning words and phrases. Tones are hard but the more I practice the better I get. I have been able to understand my teachers a lot better when they talk and pray and everything, but when they say, "Hey Elder Slavens, speak." I'm like, uhhh impossible. We were working on a book we called the Basic Core. This book had all of the basic phrases we would use that we needed to memorize. We just finished and we are now working on Intermediate Core. This calls for a lot more memorization and work. I need to memorize 4-5 phrases and 10 words for each topic in preach my gospel lessons. It is hard but since we have 6 hours of class a day, 1 hour of language study, then we speak all the Thai we know all day. It helps. 

This week I broke an elevator, thought I had tinnitus (when you can't hear out of an ear and you just hear ringing), I watched construction more than I studied, and made a fort. All true. 

Elevator- we had about 10 people in an elevator including people we didn't know when I forced the doors shut. Right as they closed the elevator dropped and stopped. Everyone soon realized the elevator broke. We then hear. "I am sorry, but we are experiencing technical difficulties." I sat down on the floor and said, “Aww bummer.” The people we didn't know soon started to punch the buttons and we then finally started moving. I laughed so hard when I realized I almost just killed us all. Sorry everyone. My bad. 

Ear- I woke up on Tuesday and I couldn't hear out of my right ear, I thought, “Well, that stinks.” I heard a ringing and came to the conclusion I would never hear again. I asked people and they were no help. The next morning I could hear so not sure what was up but I am happy to say my hearing is perfect. 

Construction- The MTC has been under crazy construction right by the building where we have class, studies, and everything. We study by the window and every time I look out they are doing some sort of construction. It is so distracting. I cheer every time. I love my study time, but I love construction more. 

Fort- I had a great idea to take 7 blankets and tuck them under the top bunk so I would have a nice fort. Best idea I've ever had. So dark, so cozy.  

I am really excited to get to Thailand but I still have 6 weeks until I get to leave. I am excited because there are 2 new Thai districts coming at the end of February. We will be able to teach them and help them. But in reality they may be helping me. Let's just hope someone creates a food you can eat that helps you learn a new language. Boy that would be nice. 

Here are some songs you may enjoy. I don't understand them but they make me feel like I'm meditating on a river. I hope you feel how I feel while listening to this music. 



I have heard many of you enjoy my emails. I don't know what I am doing right but you are welcome. If anyone has suggestions on what I should talk about, just shoot me an email. 

I'm out of here. Peace out to all of you. I hope you have a great week, I love you all, miss you all, and I hope you don't break an elevator or get distracted by construction this week. I know how it feels. You'll be hearing from me in 7 days. Enjoy your time Elder Slavens free. BYE. 

Elder Slavens
เอ็ลเดอร์ สะเลเว็นส์   
#trentakesthailand

พระกิตติคุณของพระเยซูคริสต์เพิ่มความแข็งแกร่งให้ ครอบครัว  
The Gospel of Jesus Christ blesses families.
Read all of JSH and prepare for general conference


I am going to send a video of me speaking. If you make fun of me I will be sad. I hope you can all understand from this video that I am struggling but am slowly learning. Maybe one day I will look back and go wow I was pretty good. One day. 


 I told you I like construction. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. Watch and you will be happy. 


Me and the men's room. My favorite room in the whole MTC. 


In other news my bestie boy Elder Isaac Hansen dropped into the MTC on Wednesday. 
I barely see him because the MTC is always go go go. Still love him.


We all pointed to our locations of serving. As you can see it's pretty concentrated in the little area we like to call 
South East Asia

No comments:

Post a Comment