Dear Elder Slavens

Dear Elder Slavens
Elder Trenton J Slavens
Thailand, Bangkok/Arizona, Gilbert/
Texas Houston East
Elder Dallin J Slavens Cambodia, Phnom Penh
Elder Chancellor J Slavens Idaho, Twin Falls

Monday, June 7, 2021

Elder Slay the plumber pepper guy

Howdy everyone. Elder Slay coming at you live from Fred, Texas. The place with the population of 700, a lot of highways, few homes, and a lot of random dogs running across the street. Hypothetically, if there was a worldwide game of hide and go seek and you had a month to try and find the person I would likely hide here. There is nobody, nothing, no cops, not much. It would be a good hiding place. But a wonderful place really. Thanks for that brain, well back to our normally scheduled event keeping up with Elder Slavens.  It was another great week, a lot happened and a lot of stories and memories. Let's get into it.


Ok so for some background a few cities around me are: Fred, Spurger, Woodville, Jasper, Silsbee. Such wonderful places I would have never been to. Thanks mission! So this week in Jasper we went to do a service project. Some other Elders cover that area so we went with them but what happened was this ladies house is on a hill and in this area of Texas it rains a lot. It rains and rains. Any rain and there are floods and the road is covered in feet of water. So this lady's house being on a hill had a bunch of rain slide down the hill right into her house. We got to take out all this old, wet, moldy, stinky, heavy carpet from her house. We were cutting and ripping and starting to smell bad. The lady at the house absolutely loved me. She kept saying, "Oh I love this boy". I guess it pays to be yourself. Lesson of the day, Be Yourself! Ok cool. Well for lunch she gave us just beans. Everyone loves beans, well oops I accidentally poured a third of the pepper dispenser into my bowl of beans. Those were some peppery beans. That's ok she still loved me for who I am, even though I may be clumsy. It happens. 


To be totally honest I do not know why people enjoy living anywhere around here in Texas. I mean it is super good but it rains and floods, it is hot and humid always, there are so many mosquitos outside it's almost like you look outside and you start getting bit. It's fun here but people just always have to wonder, "Oh well it's raining again, I wonder if our house will flood this time, or if the water will knock down that tree into our house". Like what. I don't get it, but it makes it pretty interesting for me. 


Ok another service we did this week. We had to clean an Elders apartment because they all get moldy and nasty here. I became the plumber of the day.  I was under sinks fixing and screwing stuff and tightening little things not super sure how to he a plumber but it worked. Impressive if you ask me. If anyone has a sink that needs a fixin, let me know. We also have amazing members in our branch. There are only about 75 families in the branch and not near that many are active or come to church, but some are very strong and we get to visit them often and I love it. It's the best thing ever. 


So there you have it. A good week full of some lessons, members, and a bunch of service. It's about hurricane season so we will be getting lots of rain that means lots of flooding and that means we will be busy. I am excited. Well not for rain or floods but to be busy with service. Gotta love it. Now that I mention it service. If you are reading this serve someone this week. Get someone ice cream or pay for their taco bell in the drive thru. Serve someone and God will bless you. Oh perfect scripture for this down below. Love you. Have a good serving week. 


Elder Slavens

Elder Service

Elder Plumber

Elder Pepper Beans


Mosiah 2:17 Serve others-Serve God. Easy as that. 


สิ่งเดียวที่น่าเศร้าเกี่ยวกับการใช้ชีวิตคือ Fred ขาดทาโก้เบลล์ ไม่มีอะไรที่เหมือนกับความอยากทาโก้และรับทาโก้ที่ง่ายและรวดเร็ว ถ้าผมต้องการทาโก้ผมต้องขับรถไป ๑๓ ไมล์ หรือห่างออกไป ๑๗ นาทีขรุขระ

The only sad thing about living is Fred is the lack of a taco bell. There is nothing like craving a taco and getting a taco quick and easy. If I want a taco I have to drive 13 miles or 17 minutes away. Rough



When you go to a members house and they say, "Want to watch me burn a bunch of trash". It was a lot of trash and a large fire. It was very warm. I danced around and clapped. Wonderful experience.




Branch President's wife snuck up and took this candid picture of me and dog. I saw it on Facebook and said

 "Oh look there I am". Unexpected. 




Meet barefoot Willie. This man does not wear shoes. He doesn't go to stores that say "no shirt no shoes no service". 

He just loves being barefoot no matter what. I strive to be just like barefoot Willie in my life. 




We went to this bbq place and they ordered the Caveman Platter. It was like 4.5 pounds of meat and then fries and toast. 

I was so dedicated to finish it but my stomach couldn't not handle it. I was upset with myself. Only 3 missionaries have ever finished it and I wanted to be the 4th. I'll be back. 




When you go fishing with 2 people you are teaching and it is very peaceful. Also when you fish and don't catch anything. 

I made it seem like I knew what I was doing. The guy asked "do you know how to string a pole". "Well yeah duh that's easy". 

I figured it out don't worry. 




We were helping people with their goats and it started pouring cats and dogs. I felt like a newscaster explaining how much rain we were getting and in detail describing the dogs falling from the sky. 


No comments:

Post a Comment